Monday, May 29, 2006

My weekend

Well, it was an ok weekend until last night. And then all hell broke loose.

I don't know why it's like this when our patient load is down. If we have 30 patients (nearly max) it is good -- nothing bad seems to happen. With 12 last night I felt like falling in the floor and throwing a Dr. Chu look at me fit.

I admitted a new patient at 8 pm last night. I was the only RN on the floor but with plenty of other help. It shouldn't have been so tough. Of course it was an involved patient. The doctor wanted all sorts of consults, scans and even a lumbar puncture. I made it through it all ok. I felt like I was actually doing a good job...

And then Dr F. came on the floor. Dr F. had been consulted on this new patient. He wanted to know where his urinalysis results were.... "Well, MR so&so hasn't voided yet, but we will send the specimen to lab when he does..... " Dr F got upset that I had started the guys antibiotics before we got the specimen. I apologized and he said it was unacceptable. I felt like cursing at him and if any other person had talked to me in his tone I would have.

I went to talk to the patient (this is all at 1.am.) He was a younger guy. He couldn't void. He hadn't drank anything in a day or so. His wife was upset. That doctor wants him to pee and he can't. I guess the doctor was even rude to the family.

Dr F waited around a while. I guess he thought the patient would void since he'd given him an order to. Just like a man.... He finally left. Later that morning I asked the next shift about it. The nurse said "Did you have an order to do the UA first?" Of course I didn't. She told me I didn't do anything wrong. I even called the patients primary and he said it was ok. "No problem" I guess some people just have to be jackasses.

To each his own -- I hope this doctor never has to depend on this nurse to take care of him. Because I'm keeping a list.

12 comments:

Sunshine said...

what kind of doctor is dr.F. I think I know what the F stands for.

Sister--Fleta said...

I think Dr. Chu was Patsy's Doctor.

Erin, sometimes when people say things to me that are ungood, and I can not say mean things to them for one reason or another, I say Thank You. I usually upsets them that you say Thank You when they know that is not what you mean.

Erin said...

i'm pretty sure dr f saw richard at one point. if that gives you a clue as to what kind of dr he is. i think i did say thank you. i think this dr hadn't had his nice medicine. most drs are bipolar and they take meds. i know of at least 3 in our hospital.

patsy said...

ask Doctor Chu how I am going to find a doctor since he left town and left no forwarding address?

patsy said...

I love hearing you give the doctors hell, doc. f is fergenson in case anyone wants to know.I really would like to know where chu is locateted if you can find out with out getting your self in trouble.

Erin said...

the chu's are now at the crossroads clinic in harrison. it's where van orr and birk used to be. opposite walmart -- almost beside the alltel, dollar shop and blockbuster shopping strip mall (just south of it). on the right as you comeinto town on hwy 65.

Erin said...

the chu's and kevin jackson were fired from eagle heights clinic and dr t. leslie -- apparently they were taking too much money and not giving dr leslie enough. i like that group of doctors. i've seen dr jackson make house calls before.

patsy said...

thanks erin.

Galla Creek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Galla Creek said...

Have you ever turned to do somehting on the computer
and got that ut oh voice
that is what I think of Erin
and the doctors...God forbid
they need her someday.

Galla Creek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Galla Creek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.