Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My weekend

What a weekend. I am glad it is over. Next weekend one of the nurses I work with will be on vacation so I'll be virtually by myself all weekend. It will be nice because she gets on my nerves. It doesn't take much for someone to get on my nerves.

This is some of the stuff I heard this weekend --

"Give me an enema! And then what will you do when I shit the bed? What will you do?"
I asked a patient her name -- "My name is Mark, but I go by Anna"
Dr Maris told a patient "Erin will get you taken care of." She pointed at me and said "She has ALREADY taken care of me" It was definately not a compliment.
"Let's be naked" Why do we need to get naked, I asked. "We won't need our clothes in heaven." Hmm..

I had a patient that got critical Saturday night. The only family she had left was her sister-in-law and her niece who happened to be her healthcare proxy. I called the niece and politely suggested maybe she could come sit with her aunt. She huffed and came in a few hours later.

I want my aunts to know that if you are ever in a hospital bed drowning in fluids -- or ever just on your last breath. I will not hesitate to come sit with you while you go on to the heareafter.

2 comments:

patsy said...

thanks erin, if its me give me a push.i know you hear. a lot of stuff, i could never be a nurse.somehow when you are in hospital you just say things. i have been there a lot and remember some of the things i said, i just cringe! being old and sick is bad enought with out having to go to a strange place and be constantly bombarded by strangers.

Galla Creek said...

I know it is nice to have
someone who cares. I am glad
I do. Erin has told me lots
of folks have no one who
even cares what happens.
That is sad. We are lucky to
have a family where we do all
care for one another.

Erin, they are lucky to have
you for their nurse...